There is a lot of discourse around Minecraft. Both young and old are hooked on it and the popularity of the game has surprised everyone as it has won more than 141 million active players in a short span.
What is Minecraft?
When we hear the word Minecraft, the first question that pops up in our minds is what is Minecraft? Well, it is a 3-D video game that was created by Markus Persson in 2009, and the full version was released in 2011. Three years later, Microsoft purchased Minecraft by shelling out $2.5 billion.
It is a sandbox game that allows players to build and explore virtual worlds made up of blocks. In the game, players can mine resources, craft items, and build structures using these resources. They can also explore the game world, which is made up of a variety of biomes, such as forests, mountains, villages, and deserts.
The game also has a variety of creatures, such as cows, pigs, and zombies, that players can interact with. Additionally, players can play the game in a variety of different modes, including survival mode, mode, and adventure mode.
Unlike other video games, this game doesn’t have any point system. It is all about survival and creativity. You can play this game alone or with others online.
Before talking about the popularity, let’s take a look at the amazing data that tells us that Minecraft’s popularity spiraled and in 2021 alone it had an estimated 93 million Monthly Active Users (MAUs). What contributes to its huge popularity is the fact that it offers players a great deal of freedom to build and explore within the game world.
The players can show their creativity by building their own houses or any other building. The game also has simple, yet engaging gameplay that can be enjoyed by players of all ages.
Additionally, the game has a large and active community of players who create mods, custom maps, and other content that keeps the game fresh and exciting for its players. Finally, Minecraft has been successful in part because it is available on a wide range of platforms, including PC, consoles, and mobile devices.
Is Minecraft good for the brain?
With video games come to a lot of concerns. One of the major concerns is that the game is good for the brain. It is said that the game can help to improve spatial awareness, problem-solving skills, and creativity. It can also help to develop planning and organizational skills, as well as encourage collaboration and communication.
Additionally, the game can be used in educational settings to teach subjects such as coding, math, and other skills. Because of these benefits, many educators and parents view Minecraft as a valuable tool for helping to develop a child’s brain.
Minecraft key statistics
- Minecraft had an estimated 93 million MAUs in 2021. Its peak MAUs were 131 million in 2020
- Minecraft has grown exponentially. It generated $380 million in revenue in 2021 and mobile revenue accounted for $110 million.
- Over 130 million people played Minecraft once a month in 2020. Minecraft has been sold in all formats over 200 million times.
- Minecraft’s Chinese edition, which is a free game, has been downloaded over 400 million times.
Why is Minecraft So Popular?
The top five reasons that make Minecraft a popular game:
- The game offers players a great deal of freedom to build and explore within the game world. This allows players to be creative and use their imagination to create whatever they want within the game.
- The game has simple, yet engaging gameplay that can be enjoyed by players of all ages. This makes it accessible to a wide range of players and helps to keep the game popular.
- Minecraft has a large and active community of players who create mods, custom maps, and other content that keeps the game fresh and exciting for its players. This community also provides players with a way to connect with others who enjoy the game.
- The game is available on a wide range of platforms, including PC, consoles, and mobile devices. This makes it easy for players to access the game and play with others, regardless of the type of device they have.
- Minecraft has been successful in part because it has been used in educational settings to teach subjects such as coding, math, and problem-solving skills. This has helped to increase the game’s popularity among educators and parents.
Moonpreneur is empowering the young generation to become future innovators and entrepreneurs by providing them with the world’s education. Keep learning and follow Moonpreneur to get such informative content for your child.
To offer your kid learning that will enhance their knowledge related to the creation of these cool games visit Moonpreneur’s website and explore our various uniquely curated programs related to Game Development, Robotics, Advanced Math, and App Development.
Minecraft is one of the most popular games among kids, and Moonpreneur is now turning this fun gameplay into an opportunity to learn how to code. Minecraft Coding course will help kids learn the skill of coding the fastest and in the most fun way ever possible! Book a free class today!