More than 6 million children in the US participate in some form of summer camp every year. With technology dominating our day-to-day environment, summer camps offer an excellent way to disconnect from the digital world and reconnect with people, nature, and different environments.
If you are planning a summer camp, you should know the must-have summer camp items. There are various types of summer camps, and summer camp necessities vary.
Recommended Reading: 15 Creative Ways To Spend Your Summer Vacations
Things to Pack for Summer Camp
The summer camp essentials may differ depending upon a few factors, such as the duration, type of camp, and the destination’s climate.
For instance, if your child is attending a Riding School Day Summer camp in Silicon Valley Area, they may have to carry water-proof riding boots, half chaps, gloves, and other important things. On the other hand, if your child is attending special art camps this summer, an extra pair of comfortable clothes is a must just in case they spoil their clothes during the classes.
However, there are a few things, regardless of the type of camp one chooses to go to, that every child must carry to ensure a comfortable experience outside the home. These are listed below:
- A reusable water bottle, as hydration is crucial in the summer heat.
- Comfortable clothing and shoes, even if they’re attending a computer or technology-based camp.
- Hand sanitizer and a face mask help prevent the spread of germs in shared spaces. Make sure to check local guidelines for mask requirements.
- A jacket or sweatshirt, in case of unexpected weather changes.
- Sunscreen protects against harmful UV rays.
- Mosquito repellent to protect against mosquito bites.
- Medications with the prescription and instructions for the teacher in case the child is going through any kind of treatment.
- A list of allergens to ensure that your child is kept away from food items or things that can trigger their allergies.
- Books to read during intervals or commuting hours. This can be pretty helpful if the child is going to overnight camps.
- Extra pair of eyeglasses for an unforeseen reason.
- Portable kids’ digital camera that they can use to capture moments with their friends and educators.
Summer camps are in high demand, so the essentials are easy to find. Interestingly, the demand for summer camps has risen to a level that is now a booming business projected to generate a revenue of $3.56 billion in 2023.
Some of the reasons summer camps often top the charts for parents are:
1. Keeps kids active: It provides a great opportunity for kids to engage in physical activities and get the exercise they need. This can help them stay healthy and active during the summer when they may otherwise spend much time indoors.
2. Develops new skills: The curriculum provides kids many opportunities to develop new skills and interests. Whether learning a new sport, coding, practicing art, or developing leadership skills, summer camps can help kids discover and explore their talents.
3. Builds social skills: One of the most significant benefits of attending a summer camp is the exposure to a diverse range of people from different ethnicities and cultures. On average, summer camps have about 50-100 enrollments, which means that kids get to interact and make friends with children from different backgrounds. This exposure to diversity provides them with opportunities to embrace other cultures and broaden their horizons.
4. Provides a break from technology: Something that we all are looking for, isn’t it? Summer camps can offer a much-needed break from technology and screen time. This can help kids connect with nature as they explore the great outdoors and make lasting memories. It’s a chance for them to refresh their minds and create balance in their lives that can have a positive impact on their overall health and well-being.
Recommended Reading: 10 Tips for Reducing Screen Time For Kids
5. Offers a sense of independence: Summer camps provide a supportive environment encourages kids to step outside their comfort zone and try new things. By taking on challenges and succeeding, children can gain a sense of accomplishment and self-confidence, which can help them tackle future challenges.
6. Creates lasting memories: Lastly summer camps offer an opportunity for kids to create lasting memories with new friends and experiences. These memories can stay with them for a lifetime and provide a source of joy and nostalgia in the years to come.
Planning summer camps can be a fun and rewarding experience for parents and children. It offers a chance to learn new skills, build relationships, and make memories that can last a lifetime. Make sure you pack all the above-listed summer camp essentials to your kids can have a comfortable experience as they make new memories and embrace new friendships.
Moonpreneur understands the needs and demands this rapidly changing technological world is bringing with it for our kids. Thus we are on a mission to educate and ignite the flames of entrepreneurship through our holistically created online STEM programs, which will help kids master the futuristic sciences such as Robotics, Game Development, App Development, Advanced Math, and much more!!
Register for a free 60-minute Robotics and Coding Workshop today!