New York City, a bustling city known as the artistic and cultural capital of the country, apparently has one of the largest educational systems of any city in the world, which is governed by the University of the State of New York. Starting in 1784, its governance is placed under a Board of Reagents.
The city’s middle school educates children beginning in fifth grade. Suppose you are looking for quality education for your child and their holistic development. In that case, you have plenty of options as the city is home to several middle schools, also called Junior High Schools.
However, choosing a school from hundreds of options is not an easy task, so we have simplified your search by creating a list of the 5 best middle schools in town.
1) The Christa McAuliffe School 187
This school has a fascinating history, and after going through various stages, it became a middle school for gifted and talented students in 2004. A community school district public middle school, it has continuously ranked as a top school in New York since 2006.
It caters to students in grades 6-8, and over the last 30 years, the students from this school attended the top universities across the world.
- Website: https://www.is187nyc.com/
- Contact: 718-236-3394
- Student-Teacher Ratio: 18:1
- Proficiency in reading: 96%
- Proficiency in mathematics: 97%
- Location and Address: 1171 – 65th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11219
2) The Mark Twain Intermediate School for the Gifted and Talented
One of the highest-performing schools in the city, it provides a learning environment that combines academic rigor with visual and performing arts experience. It is known for its high academic achievement and strong talent program.
According to the school, most graduates choose the Common Core Algebra, Earth Science (in grade 7), and Living Environment Regents Exams. It has won awards for fostering academic, emotional, and social growth in students.
- Website: https://twain239.com/
- Contact: 718-266-0814
- Student-Teacher Ratio: 17:1
- Proficiency in reading: 91%
- Proficiency in mathematics: 89%
- Location and Address: 2401 Neptune Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11224
3) Williamsburg Collegiate Charter School
Apart from providing excellent infrastructure for learning, the school is known for instilling the right values in children. It teaches students that hard work is a prerequisite for success.
The focus is on the holistic development of children and preparing them for success in high school, as well as college and beyond. Other than academics, the students are given opportunities to explore new interests.
- Website: https://nyc.uncommonschools.org/williamsburg-collegiate/
- Contact: 718-302-4018
- Student-Teacher Ratio: NA
- Proficiency in reading: 90%
- Proficiency in mathematics: 90%
- Location and Address: 157 Wilson Street, 4th Floor Brooklyn, NY 11211
4) Great Neck South Middle School
There is no better way to groom children than for students, parents, guardians, and educators to collaborate. This school provides this while focusing on the special needs and characteristics of students aged 10 to 14.
- Website: https://www.greatneck.k12.ny.us/
- Contact: 516-441-4600
- Student-Teacher Ratio: 10:1
- Proficiency in reading: 84%
- Proficiency in mathematics: 87%
- Location and Address: 349 Lakeville Road, Great Neck, NY 11020
5) East Side Middle School
A highly rated public school, it takes students in grades 6-8. It is popular among students not only for academics but also for focusing on students’ passions and interests. It also prepares its students for future studies, and the students have an excellent track record of succeeding in high school and beyond.
- Website: https://www.esms.org/
- Contact: 212 360-0114
- Student-Teacher Ratio: 15:1
- Proficiency in reading: 95%
- Proficiency in mathematics: 96%
- Location and Address: 331 E 91st St, New York, NY 10128
Because middle school is an excellent time for your child to explore his or her interests and passions, we’ve compiled a list of schools based on Niche and USNews research. These schools emphasize children’s holistic development by providing a learning environment where they can discover and excel in their passion.
As a parent, it would be ideal if you could conduct additional research, collect additional information, and, of course, consult our list before making a decision. Because when it comes to our children’s future, we must make the best decision possible.
Moonpreneur understands the needs and demands this rapidly changing technological world is bringing with it for our kids.
Thus we are on a mission to educate and ignite the flames of entrepreneurship through our holistically created online STEM programs, which will help kids master the futuristic sciences such as Robotics, Game Development, App Development, Advanced Math, and much more!!
Register for a free 60-minute Robotics class today!