Math tricks can be entertaining and engaging for children, making them a great way to spark an interest in mathematics. Parents can use numerous math strategies to help their children improve their math skills.
Arithmetic tricks, in particular, can amaze children while also serving as a useful tool to have on hand.
Recommended Reading: Top 7 Tips and Tricks to Make Your Child Love Math
Here are 10 methods for kids to learn arithmetical skills:
1. The Magic 8 Prediction Trick: This is a simple yet effective way for kids to practice arithmetic. Start by writing the number “8” on a notepad without revealing it to your child. Then, have them think of any number and follow the instructions in the correct order.
- Subtract 1 from the number
- Multiply with 3
- Add 12
- Divide by 3
- Add 5
- Finally, instruct them to subtract the number they first thought of from the result.
This trick can help kids improve their mental math abilities.
2. The Number Guessing Trick: For this trick, ask your child to think of any number between 1 and 10 and do the following:
- Multiply the number by 2
- Add 10
- Divide the result by 2
- Finally, subtract the original number your child thought of from the last result.
Now reveal the prediction to your child, and they will be surprised that the answer is always 5.
3. Taking a deduction from 1,000: This math trick can impress kids and help them practice subtraction. You can apply this simple formula to subtract any 3-digit number from 1,000.
For this, subtract each digit of the number from 9, except for the last digit, which you subtract from 10.
1,000 – 556
Step 1: 5-9 = 4
Step 2: 5-9 =4
Step 3: 6-10 =4
The correct answer is 444.
4. Adding and Subtracting Using 10s: Using this simple mathematical method, you can quickly calculate the sum of two-digit integers and gain a better understanding of place values and decomposition.
How will you find the sum of 35 and 43?
- Divide the numbers into tens and ones
35 = 30 & 5
43 = 40 & 3
- Add the tens place first: 30 + 40 = 70
- Next, add the one’s position: 5 + 3 = 8
- Add the two answers to get the total: 70 + 8 =78
5. Rounding up the total: Rounding off numbers is a useful math tip for kids to help them with addition and improve their math reasoning skills.
For example, what would you do if you have to find the difference between 535 and 85?
- 535 will be rounded off to 500 by subtracting 35 from 535: 535-35 = 500
Outcome 1 = 500
- Subtract the second numbers: 35-85=50
Outcome 2 = 50
- Next, subtract the two outcomes to get the final answer: 500-50 = 450
- The difference between 535–85 = 450
6. Fast 15 Multiplication: Apply this method to multiply any number by 15.
How does this method work?
- Suffix 0 to the end of the number to be multiplied by 15
- Next, divide that number by 2
- Last, add the two numbers to get the final answer
Example: Multiply 73×15
Suffix 0 to 73 = 730
Divide 730 by 2
730 / 2 = 365
Add the two figures
730 + 365= 1095
83 x 15 = 1095
7. Obtaining Percentages
Calculating percentages is difficult, but this trick can make it a child’s play.
What will you do if you have to find 35% of 12?
Multiply 35 x 12 = 420
Shift the decimal point two digits to the left
420 will become 4.20, or 35% of 12
8. This birthday easy math trick is also an excellent way to improve arithmetic skills.
First, take the number 7
Multiply it by the month of your birth
Multiply by 13
Add the day of your birth
Multiply by 11
Subtract the month of your birth
Subtract the day of your birth
Divide by 10
Divide by 100
9: Multiply from left to right: You want to multiply 235 by 7. Instead of doing the traditional long multiplication method, you can use the left-to-right method as follows:
10: The trick of 11: You can use this method to multiply a two-digit number with 11.
Place 8 between 6 and 2, and you will get your answer.
Mathematical techniques are a terrific approach to making math more enjoyable! Using their mental powers, your youngster will be able to perform complex calculations without using a calculator.
These tricks can instill confidence in your students that they have never had before!
Moonpreneur understands the needs and demands this rapidly changing technological world is bringing with it for our kids. Our expert-designed Advanced Math course for grades 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th will help your child develop math skills with hands-on lessons, excite them to learn, and help them build real-life applications.
Register for a free 60-minute Advanced Math Workshop today!